Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: MSD 6BTM vs JR BTC, do I still need the spark?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member BlownSOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I could not find a direct answer to this question, so I am asking. From what I understand, the main differences between
    these two units is the BTC has a more favorable timing curve for boosted applications and the MSD unit comes with an ignition giving a hotter spark. Of course I would rather have the BTC, but do I really need a hotter spark? Some say yes, others no. Do we have any proof?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No proof I've seen. Plenty of us have no ignition mods. I guess Honda built in a good enough spark.

    Greg

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I installed a JRSC on a Civic EX a few weeks back I swapped the plugs for colder ones. The ones I pulled out were by far the most worn plugs I've ever seen. I'd say the gaps were at least 3mm and the center electrodes were really rounded. Judging by the fact that the car ran pretty well with the "bad" plugs, I'd have to agree that the stock ignition's pretty good.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member registry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2000
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you purchased the plain old MSD BTM there is no multiple spark spark discharge unless you go with a MSD 6al btm. Honda/Acura ignition and engine systems and are so much more efficient than there American rivals means you really don't need one, unless of course your running ridiculous amounts of boost. My Vortech powered "90" Mustang and "97" Trans Am definately needed one because of there inefficiencies. My car with just a JR BTC is extremely easy to install, works fine and VERY RELIABLE!

    ------------------
    "99" GSR Emerald green sedan-6 psi /JRSC,Walbro 255 lph fuel pump,AEM CAI,Comptech stainless 4-2-1 header,Comptech stainless exhaust,MSD 8.8 ignition wires,Comptech upper and lower strut brace, Comptech sport springs,DC short throw shifter, JR btm, chrome KMC Tarantula wheels on Toyo 205/45ZR 16" Proxes T1S tires, Power Stop cross drilled rotors, Energy Suspension motor mount inserts, Piaa 1700 plantinum driving lights w/Pia Super whites replacement bulbs,walnut woodtrim interior,etc...


    Wing/future dark tinted windows and very proud!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member BlownSOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    reg,

    I do have the ignition box (6BTM), and I have a blower arriving with 15psi. Does this qualify for a ridiculous amount of boost? eek

    I guess thats another question for Larry to answer, poor guy. frown

    [This message has been edited by BlownSOL (edited September 23, 2000).]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member registry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2000
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Are you having your blower reworked by Endyne? If you are I really would like to see ther intake they give you with it and I definately want to know how it goes!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •